Welcome !

Early Childhood Center-School Year 2016-2017

"Play is the highest expression of human development."
Welcome to The One School At Temple Beth Am, Celebrating the Whole Child. We understand and respect that every child is essentially, ‘the one.’ Every child is unique. The specifics of how we nurture and grow each child are dependent entirely upon the needs of the child. This is how we celebrate each child - by engaging him or her at his or her point of need. The One School partners with every parent to ensure every child is championed and educated as an individual.

The One School is a NAEYC Accredited, Reggio Emilia Nature-inspired school, serving ages 18 months to five years. The One School offers certified teachers, a low student/teacher ratio, an emergent creative curriculum and specialty areas of study including science, art, music, foreign language and nature study. The One School’s curricula are supplemented by young family programs and parenting workshops, an infant and toddler program, Family Center, Summer Camp, after school enrichment classes and an active and instrumental Parent Teacher Organization. A commitment to contribute to the community and the world at large is also a part of the school’s social justice philosophy.






Thursday, October 2, 2014

Forgiveness during Yom Kippur

On the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, a central prayer is the Al Chet or communal confession of sins committed against others and is described  at Yom Kippur as the time for reconciliation and forgiveness. We are reminded "If we cannot forgive others, how can we expect God to forgive us?"

This holiday always poses an interesting question for me: Can I really forgive someone who has wronged me? Of course, I am not talking about overwhelmingly traumatic acts that are unforgivable -- genocide; physical, emotional, or sexual abuse; and other crimes that harm innocent victims. Although there are amazing people who can forgive even these things,



I guess forgiving others is not something that happens until you reach a certain age, although we work hard in telling our children that they must say they are sorry.  It is a very hard concept and we hope they will understand this sooner than later.
One thought I have about this is rather obvious. It's the old "you always hurt the one you love" thing. So I get how it is hardest to forgive  a friend who has betrayed us.
But lately, I have come to believe the power to forgive is always mine. Exercising that power makes me stronger, not weaker. It definitely makes me happier.  Like Elsa from Frozen, my mantra is "Let it go."
There's a lot of power in forgiveness. 
Over many years as a preschool director, working with countless parents and teachers, I learned another truth about forgiveness. Much of the time, it turns out the hurtful behavior really had little to do with the target of the behavior. When co-workers or parents or teachers were attacked in various situations it was typically a projection of unhappiness elsewhere in that person's life. 
So back to the question of whether I can forgive someone who has hurt me: My answer is a resounding "yes." In fact, it goes beyond "Can I do it?" to "I must do it to lead a happy and meaningful life." The harder task is to forgive myself for the wrongs I have done to others.

Gmar Hatimah Tovah.
May you be sealed in the Book of Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment